Designed in 2002 by The Interactive Institute and Future Applications Lab / Viktoria Institute (Gothenburg, Sweden), Sonic City represents one of the pioneering projects in the field of creative applications of Locative Media Technology, which major contributed to the projection of the aesthetics of digital music to the level of urban soundscapes. Thus, in the period 2002 - 2004, the project consisted in the geolocative mapping the urban sound routes through the direct contribution of the ordinary mobile phone users, which, through the prism of some subjective parameters such as the choice of the route, the daytime / nighttime transmission or other types of interactions, took over and transmitted the data to a live music processing interface. (https://player.vimeo.com/video/39001483)
The Ambisonic City platform is also designed as an acoustic mapping of the city of Timisoara by symbolically translating physical or historical contexts into urban soundscapes located at the boundary between taken sound and interpreted sound. But the acoustic alveoli that I intend to create will be emptied of the aesthetic expression of the melodic rhythm, in the sense of using the sound more as a spatio-temporal flow that envelops the user and inside which he can move like an on acoustic map where the sound changes depending on the position or route chosen. Various multi-channel field recording patterns will create sound streams that simulate transient spaces but also spectral, such as a passage of a group of people, a ghost train, overcrowded intersections, vibrating bridges, horizontal circular spaces / tunnels or verticals / towers, a ghost river, etc. Last but not least, with the help of a 3D spectrum analyzer, the multi-channel sound dynamics will be converted into visual language in the sense of materializing sculptural forms.
The history of the Bega River, now called the Bega Canal, began in 1872 by rehabilitating the floodplains on the current territory of Timisoara and channeling the old Begheu River in order to create a main transport route for economic exchanges between neighboring cities in the expanded Banat (until Pancevo, Serbia). And not only that, in this way was ensured a direct connection with Vienna and Europe in general, being well-known the industrial experiments that were implemented in Timișoara by the European specialists in the 19th century (Timișoara first electric lighting city in the continental Europe, 1884, the first electrified tram in Eastern Europe, 1899) .
Auditorium 1. The Bega Hydropower Station was built in 1910 in the Wiener Secession style, and is still operational today. Represents the entry point of the river Bega in Timisoara;
Auditorium 2. The Fabric district developed during the 19th century in the vicinity of the Bega River as the main way of supplying and distributing industrial products, later becoming the central point around which the city was developed. Among the most important landmarks can be mentioned the Hydropower Station, the Brewery, the Battery Factory, the Soap and Paint Factory, the Hat Factory, the Traian Sales Market, etc. Given the extensive commercial activity, the district acquired in short time a cosmopolitan character (Romanians, Serbs, Hungarians, Germans, Italians, Spaniards, French, Jews, Czechs, Armenians, Greeks). That is why in this area there are places of worship for various ethnic groups, starting from the Synagogue, to Greek Catholic, Orthodox churches, etc.;
Auditorium 3. Queen Mary Park was built in English style in 1909 and named in 1918 to honor the queen's contribution to national union;
Auditorium 4. Roses Park was designed by landscape architect Wilhelm Muhle as an experimental place for creating new species of roses later recognized in the whole Europe.
Auditorium 5. The Metropolitan Cathedral of Banat was built in 1919 as a result of the union of Banat with the Romanian countries in order to create a strong pillar of Orthodoxy on the edge of the Habsburg Empire. The cathedral was built in a location with a negative fame, the old hangman from the Turkish domination, from where there is a legend that crows visit this location every year in large numbers reminding us the old destination of this space.
Auditorium 6. Iosefin Water Tower. The sewerage and water supply plan of the city was made between 1912-1914, being built the two water towers, at the entrance (Fabric) and at the exit (Iosefin) of the city of the river Bega to compensate for civil and industrial water consumption.
Auditorium 7. In 1891 was inaugurated the first road bridge in the country and the entire Carpathian Basin built of cast steel on the occasion of the Industrial and Agricultural Exhibition of Southern Hungary hosted by the city of Timisoara. Honored with the presence of Emperor Franz Joseph, it became known at that time as the Franz Joseph Bridge, and later, during the communist period, it was called the Stephen the Great Bridge.
Auditorium 8. The Alcohol Factory was built in 1869, later during the communist period becoming the first petrochemical station in Romania known as the Solvent Factory, with a main distribution pipeline to Pancevo. The station ceased operations in 1998, following the embargo on Serbia, and is currently completely demolished.
Auditorium 9. The Stan Vidrighin Cleaning Water Station was built in 1912 to treat wastewater. The residual water resulted from the cleaning process is usually discharged into the Bega, so greening strategies have been applied in recent years. It represents the exit point of the Bega River from Timișoara.